Parks and Recreation Department
Click on the Rec Desk icon to:
The mission of the Charleston Parks and Recreation Department is to provide quality and affordable programming, to conserve natural resources, and to develop recreational spaces for the enjoyment of the entire community.
We are a City of Charleston department, not a Park District. Our budget is based on the City Tax Levy, though many revenues are generated through program fees. We are nonprofit and are governed by the City Council.
Our Parks and Recreation Advisory Board consists of 5 appointed members. Board meetings are usually the third Monday of the month at 3:30 p.m. in the Council Chambers on the second floor of City Hall (dates and times are subject to change). City residents are encouraged to attend and make suggestions or comments to improve programs, services, or facilities.
For outdoor cancellations due to weather, call the Rainout Hotline at 217-348-8555.
Parks and Recreation Department Staff:
- Director of Parks and Recreation: Diane Ratliff (CFEA, CPRP, CTRS)
- Athletic Supervisor: Hannah Dowling
- Recreation Supervisor: Emyle Dotson
- Tourism & Special Events: Lori Henderson
- Business Manager: Brooke Hoene
- Superintendent of Parks and Facilities Maintenance: C.J. Applegate (CPRP)
- Parks and Facilities Maintenance: Jason Walters
- Parks and Facilities Maintenance: Dustin King
- Parks and Facilities Maintenance: Brandon Thompson
- Parks and Facilities Maintenance: John Dahlke
- Parks and Facilities Maintenance: Robbie Gladu
- Parks and Facilities Maintenance: Brayden Carlin
|Hannah Dowling, Athletics Supervisor
|Brooke Hoene, Business Manager